Location: St. Paul, MN
Industry: Life Sciences; Medical Device
Manages Others: No
Education: CVT [or DVM], SRS, surgical experience and peri-operative care experience with large and small laboratory animals.
Experience: 1 – 5 years’
A career at Data Sciences International, Inc. (“DSI”) is an experience where employees are energized and aligned by our purpose – To improve lives through technology, innovation, passion and the power of information. At DSI our core values are more than just words, they’re a way of life. We know companies with a strong culture and a higher purpose perform better in the long run. As we continue to grow, we strive to ensure our culture remains alive and well. Our core values are: Integrity, Innovation and Inspiration.
At DSI, anything worth doing is worth doing with WOW. To differentiate yourself, you must do something that is above and beyond what is expected. And whatever you do should have an emotional impact on the receiver. We are not just an average company, our service is not average, and we don’t want our people to be average. We expect every employee to deliver WOW.
An experienced surgeon able to provide surgical knowledge and proficiency, contributing to the advancement of the DSI mission, vision, and company values. A team member who will provide surgical services to external customers as part of an integrated solution and collaborate with internal colleagues to assist in the development of new products and surgical techniques. Someone committed to continuous improvement who will work to develop a comprehensive understanding of surgical best practices to support customers and drive internal innovation. A flexible and open-minded individual who wants to use their skills and experience within DSI’s Surgical Services department and throughout the entire organization. During all activities, the surgeon must maintain the highest standards of animal welfare.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide surgical solutions for customers
- Travel to customer sites to conduct surgical training or provide surgery as a service
- Perform surgeries on pre-implanted small animals at DSI for shipment to customer
- Travel to collaborative large animal facilities to perform surgeries for pre-implanted orders
- Assist sales representative, customer service, and customers determine the appropriate service option and assist with quoting process
- Perform proper shipment procedures to ensure pre-implanted animals arrive safely at customer facilities with all applicable paperwork
- Create records for external surgical service activities
- Contact customers to arrange dates for services
- Provide support for product development
- Working as part of a team with the rest of the surgical department, engineers, and portfolio managers to develop and support products
- Perform survival and acute surgery on small and large animals
- Conduct chronic testing and data collection on animals
- Maintain detailed records of animal implants and explants
- Monitor and archive data collected from studies
- Create and maintain surgical manuals, tech notes and other applicable customer support materials
- Provide support to marketing, customers, and sales
- Help design, implement and conduct an in-house surgical education program
- Assist sales representatives in determining the appropriate products for customers
- Provide hands-on surgical training for DSI employees
- Provide surgical training/presentations at workshops and various meetings
- Work with Technical Support to assist customers with surgical-related issues
- Provide laboratory support of animals
- Monitor the health and welfare of all animals following applicable guide lines for care and use of laboratory animals
- Provide weekend and holiday animal care, as needed
- Provide high quality pre, intra, and post-operative animal care
- Maintain detailed documentation of all animal activities
- Strive for continued improvement in animal care such as through the development of new techniques for animal monitoring, incorporation of new equipment such as anesthetic machines, intra-operative patient monitors, etc.
- Manage laboratory including maintaining stocks of lab supplies and keeping the lab clean and orderly
- Help maintain regulatory compliance:
- Participate in regulatory bodies (i.e., IACUC)
- Attend monthly and semi-annual meetings
- Help ensure DSI quality documents and operating procedures are in accordance with governing regulations/recommendations (e.g. AAALAC/ILAR Guide/Animal Welfare Act and Regulations)
- Complete required training prior to animal use
- Participate in Occupational Health and Safety Program to ensure safe contact with animals
- Coordination of the surgical schedule:
- Create records for each external surgical service activity
- Contact customers to arrange dates
- Work with internal groups for product testing needs
- Professional Growth and Development
- Remain knowledgeable in the latest advancements in surgical techniques and animal welfare, and recommend applicable practices in light of the 3Rs.
- Attend required training to maintain certification.
- Attend additional training for other professional development, i.e. novel surgical techniques, animal care and welfare, etc.
- Assist with internal studies that yield publication (e.g. poster, paper, etc.) and support DSI’s strategy
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Macro and micro surgery
- Use of dissecting microscope
- Anesthetic patient monitoring
- Peri-operative animal care
- Basic animal handling experience
- Windows software
- Interpersonal and written communication skills
- Attention to quality and detail
Bonus Skills & Experience:
- Surgical experience with DSI telemetry
- Ability to perform surgery for the majority of the day
- Ability to stand during large animal surgeries
- Ability to lift 40 lbs.
Up to 50%
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
- Company: Data Sciences International, Inc
- Position Type: Offered/Available
- Employment Type: Full Time
- Industry: Medical Device
- Location: St. Paul, MN, United States