Scientist, Surgical Technician
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced preclinical surgeon to advance the Worldwide Research & Development portfolio though comprehensive surgical knowledge and proficiency, innovation and continuous improvement of preclinical surgical models, anesthesia and analgesia. The qualified candidate should have ability to perform routine surgical procedures and demonstrated subject matter expertise and proficiency in experimental surgery, multimodal anesthesia/analgesia in both rodent and non-rodent species.
- Collaborate with Pfizer Research Unit scientists and Investigative Partners to define study surgical needs, develop and execute animal models of disease.
- Develop new and/or continued refinement of surgical techniques and procedures to include utilization of new technologies for production surgical models, model development and in vivo research.
- Understand and perform multimodal anesthesia and pain management protocols in rodent and non-rodent species.
- Independently perform surgeries in a variety of species illustrating acceptable surgical standards, techniques and technologies in support of the Pfizer therapeutic portfolio.
- Provide surgical, anesthesia support and expertise in rodent and non-rodent species for clinical cases, surgical model development and research studies.
Ensure flawless animal care and welfare in conducting research studies through study design and implementation and championing the “3 Rs” principles.
- Liaise with the Research Unit scientists and other investigative partners to best utilize GST resources to support the therapeutic portfolio.
- Produce reports, posters, talks, and other project communications, and contribute to manuscripts.
- Participate in group, departmental, and Pfizer teams for improving process or other organizational endeavors.
- Liaise with surgical model vendors to communicate requirements of surgical models, provide surgical technical guidance, oversight and training.
- This is an essential personnel role: Essential Personnel are defined as the staff who are required to report to their designated work location, to ensure the operation of essential functions or departments during an emergency, as determined by Pfizer, or when the business has suspended operations. There are some individuals who may be required to perform essential services remotely and those individuals will be identified in advance and notified by their supervisors, but in most cases Essential Personnel are required to be on-site during an emergency or suspension of operations.
- 4-year degree or foreign degree equivalent in Biology or Veterinary related field
- SRA or SRT – Surgical Research Anesthetist or Surgical Research Technician certifications required
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in scientific research; in a surgical setting.
- Experience performing and managing multimodal anesthesia and analgesia in multiple species.
- Surgical competencies and proficiency in multiple surgical procedures in multiple laboratory animal species.
- Surgical and microsurgery experience in non-rodent and rodent species.
AALAS certifications – LAT or LATG preferred
- Ability to lift, stand, walk, bend and sit
- Ability to stand for extended duration for large animal surgery
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations
- Ability to make critical decisions (anesthetic related)
- Ability to make quick and precise adjustments to anesthetic and related surgical support equipment
- For this position you are expected to enter the nonhuman primate areas as part of your job responsibilities. A pre-hire requirement is either providing proof of measles immunity or receiving the measles vaccination before hire.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
Ability to travel ~ (25%) to support surgery to Pfizer sites.
Other Job Details:
Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
- Company: Scientist, Surgical Technician
- Position Type: Offered/Available
- Employment Type: Full Time
- Industry: Pharma
- Location: Groton, CT, United States