Senior Supervisor / Manager, In Vivo Surgery
Ambys Medicines is a biotechnology company focused on discovering and developing regenerative and restorative therapies for people with advanced liver disease. Founded by world-renowned experts in liver disease and regenerative medicine, Ambys is pioneering the application of novel modalities including cell and gene therapy, and gain-of-function drug therapy, to meet the urgent need for treatments that have the potential to restore liver function and prevent the progression to liver failure across multiple liver diseases that are untreatable or poorly treated today. Ambys was launched in 2018 by Third Rock Ventures and Takeda Pharmaceuticals with $140M in starting capital and is headquartered in South San Francisco, California.
Our In Vivo Sciences team is growing and has an exciting opportunity for a talented and motivated Senior Supervisor/Manager, In Vivo Surgery. You will contribute as part of a multidisciplinary team to develop novel therapies to treat liver diseases using cell and gene therapy strategies. In this role, you will report to our Senior Director, In Vivo Sciences/Attending Veterinarian and will be responsible for high quality delivery of animal models.
What you will do:
Operate at the highest standards for best veterinary practices in the conduct of research surgery
Identify methodology to ensure the development of animal models meets animal welfare standards and produces reproducible results
Develop and deliver surgical animal models for early discovery through preclinical development
In conjunction with Animal Program leadership, develop with and maintain standard operating procedures, policies and guidelines pertaining to surgery, anesthesia and analgesia; generate and revise IACUC Policies
Lead and train colleagues, and thrive in a matrixed team environment
Develop, foster and maintain collaborative relationships with internal and external groups/departments, agencies and other organizations associated with the program
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. /B.S.) with considerable knowledge of relevant animal welfare guidelines as it pertains to laboratory species, and an understanding of the drug development process
- 7+ years experience in surgical model development and production, with prior background working in a contract research or biopharmaceutical laboratory animal vivarium.
- 5+ years direct supervision of technical staff
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- AALAS certification at the Laboratory Animal Technologist (LATG) level; Academy of Surgical Research certification preferred
- Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) in the state of CA, or equivalent is preferred
- Experience working in an animal program adhering to regulatory and accreditation standards (USDA, OLAW, FDA, AAALAC etc.)
- Deep knowledge and technical proficiency of animal physiology/anatomy, recognition of normal/abnormal behavior, clinical problems and animal welfare issues with in vivo procedures
- Ability to implement changes to department processes/procedures and build strong partnerships across the organization.