Specialized Lab Technician
USC’s KSOM Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine department is seeking a Specialized Laboratory Technician for Dr. Andrew McMahon’s lab. The technician will support investigators in the McMahon Laboratory, studying injury and repair processes in the mammalian kidney as well as transcriptional differences in the kidney due to sexual dimorphism.
Education requirement: College background in biology, molecular biology, Animal science, veterinary science, biotechnology or biochemistry. Two years of mouse husbandry experience is essential. One year of surgical experience in rodents is essential. Experience in injury models is preferred. Bachelor’s degree is strongly preferred.
Duties will include performing AKI-IRI injury model surgeries in mice as well as overseeing post-operative care. Individual will also be responsible for maintaining mouse colonies, genotyping mice, setting up breeding, embryo collection, tissue biopsy, collection of tissues for: frozen sections, in situ hybridization and immunohistochemistry. Additionally, individual will work with investigators to plan and design surgical experiments. Individual will work with the Lab Manager to ensure IACUC regulations are amended accordingly, and that the lab is in compliance at all times. The individual will assist other researchers as assigned.
- Minimum of two years related animal care and handling experience required, including one year of technical experience as detailed in the essential duties and responsibilities section preferred One-year related to injury model survival surgery in mice, including controlled substance oversight, and post-operative care is strongly preferred.
- Basic knowledge of molecular biology experimentation: PCR, DNA digestion and agarose gel electrophoresis. Must be able to follow protocols for tissue fixation and processing.
- Excellent organizational skills, and an ability to work independently but also as part of a team are essential requirements.
- Experience with colony management software is preferred.
Other Job Accountabilities include:
- Oversees surgical records to ensure compliance is maintained.
- Aides in the maintenance of vivarium through supporting investigators in the use of online colony management software.
- Performs other highly specialized laboratory tests as appropriate.
- Complies with any quality control policies and procedures and maintains required documentation.
- Maintains a safe environment in accordance with standards, policies and safety regulations. Ensures compliance with infection control policies.
- Handles and disposes of hazardous and non-hazardous materials in accordance with safety protocols.
- Maintains and calibrates laboratory equipment. Performs or arranges for basic repairs. May alter equipment to meet experiment requirements. Makes recommendations for equipment acquisitions.
- Creates and maintains databases and/or spreadsheets to manage and process information or data.
- Organizes and maintains supplies. Monitors inventory levels, maintains records of supplies and equipment, and prepares purchase orders as needed. Provides advice on equipment upgrades and acquisitions.
- Keeps informed of developments in field. Reads journals and other relevant publications, attends professional association meetings and seminars as appropriate.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The University reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
- Company: University of Southern California
- Position Type: Offered/Available
- Employment Type: Full Time
- Industry: Academia
- Location: San Diego, CA, United States