Surgical Services has an exciting opportunity available to join their team in Bar Harbor as a Surgical Technician/Technologist!
Working under general supervision, the Surgical Technician is responsible for assisting the Surgical Technologists in providing internal and external customers with surgically modified mice. Position is additionally responsible for performing entry-level surgical procedures.
The Surgical Technologist is responsible for assisting with and/or performing surgical procedures. Position may be responsible for providing surgical training on and off site.
- Provides support to Surgical Technologists, such as stocking of surgical suites with necessary supplies, preparing mice for surgery, performing post-operative checks and packing mice for shipment to customers.
- Performs entry-level surgical procedures, including but not limited to, vasectomy, castration, microchip insertion, ovariectomy and tail tattoo.
- Performs other duties as needed, such as data entry, supply inventory & shipment.
- Performs and/or assists with surgical procedures. Executes related surgical tasks, including but not limited to, catheter maintenance, surgical post-op checks & shipping.
- May assist with and/or provide surgical training for internal and external customers on and offsite.
- Performs other duties as needed.
- Knowledge of animal anatomy and physiology as would normally be acquired through a BS degree in Animal Science or related field or high school diploma and 2 year experience working with rodents.
- Ability to work in a team environment and independently when required.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced work environment while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Ability to use word-processing, spreadsheets, and database software to record and report activities.
- Must have good working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Must work weekends and holidays on occasion.
- Ability to work a flexible work schedule and travel occasionally.
Above qualifications apply in addition to:
- Demonstrated ability to perform surgeries on mice while working under a microscope.
- Ability to take independent initiative, work independently, and exercise good judgment in decision-making.
- Interpersonal relations skills sufficiently advanced to successfully interact with people representing a variety of levels of sophistication.
*Ability to work alternate schedule including weekend days preferred*
- Company: The Jackson Laboratory
- Position Type: Offered/Available
- Employment Type: Full Time
- Industry: Pharma
- Location: Bar Harbor, ME, United States