Surgical Veterinary Technician
Organization: Charles River Laboratories
Apply online at: https://jobs.criver.com/ Job ID 114031
Location: Boston, MA (Boston Children’s Hospital)
Apply your knowledge and surgical/veterinary experience in the animal science environment as you take your career to the next level. Join a company that values diversity in the workplace and its employee’s success. Has excellent benefits and competitive pay. Take your career to the next level and join Charles River, where our strong sense of purpose and values guide us in all we do. Together we can save lives!
The following are responsibilities relate to the Surgical Veterinary Technician:
- Reviews and complies with all policies pertaining to the animal care program. Cares for and maintains laboratory animals in accordance with USDA Animal Welfare Act and policies, the “Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals,” and other applicable regulations and policies.
- Works closely with the Veterinarian to perform daily health assessments of the large animals in the Surgical Services Program and maintain all records as needed and associated with this monitoring. Provides animal treatments as instructed by the Veterinarian.
- Performs technical functions required by research protocols, such as daily clinical observations, diagnostic testing, administering medications to post-operative animals and health examinations of sick animals, prior to reporting adverse findings to Veterinarian responsible for that area.
- Provides anesthesia support to all surgical cases. This includes placement of IV catheters, intubation, and administration of anesthetic agents. Provides surgical support to the research staff, e.g. animal handling and restraint, blood and other tissues sample collection, injections, and treatments.
- Responsible for maintaining sterile ORs by cleaning and breaking down at the end of cases. Responsible for making instrument packs, cleaning and autoclaving supplies. Prepares the OR for the next surgical case. Ensures equipment is in working order prior to the start of a case.
- Coordinates and processes orders for animal medications (drugs, anesthetics, analgesics, etc.), documents distribution of same, and provides guidance on recordkeeping requirements.
The following are minimum qualifications related to the Surgical Veterinary Technician position:
- Education: B.S. in Animal Science or Veterinary Technology or A.A./A.S. in Veterinary Technology or equivalent college level program preferred.
- Experience: Minimum of one-year related animal care and handling experience required, including one year of technical experience as detailed in the essential duties and responsibilities section preferred
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: AALAS certification at the LAT level or successful achievement of within one (1) year required. LATG, CVT, LVT is preferred.
- Company: Charles River
- Position Type: Offered/Available
- Employment Type: Full Time
- Industry: CRO
- Location: Boston, MA, United States