Surgical Veterinary Technician
Charles River Laboratories Insourcing Solutions Department is seeking a Surgical Veterinary Technician based in Boston MA., at our Boston Children’s Hospital contract.
The following are responsibilities relate to the Veterinary Technician:
- Reviews and complies with all policies pertaining to the animal care program. Cares for and maintains laboratory animals in accordance with USDA Animal Welfare Act and policies, the “Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals,” and other applicable regulations and policies.
- Works closely with the Veterinarian to perform daily health assessments of the large animals in the Surgical Services Program and maintain all records as needed and associated with this monitoring. Provides animal treatments as instructed by the Veterinarian.
- Performs technical functions required by research protocols, such as daily clinical observations, diagnostic testing, administering medications to post-operative animals and health examinations of sick animals, prior to reporting adverse findings to Veterinarian responsible for that area.
- Provides anesthesia support to all surgical cases. This includes placement of IV catheters, intubation, and administration of anesthetic agents. Provides surgical support to the research staff, e.g. animal handling and restraint, blood and other tissues sample collection, injections, and treatments.
- Responsible for maintaining sterile ORs by cleaning and breaking down at the end of cases. Responsible for making instrument packs, cleaning and autoclaving supplies. Prepares the OR for the next surgical case. Ensures equipment is in working order prior to the start of a case.
- Coordinates and processes orders for animal medications (drugs, anesthetics, analgesics, etc.), documents distribution of same, and provides guidance on recordkeeping requirements.
- Operates equipment and uses supplies according to safety guidelines; performs general housekeeping and adheres to safety procedures. Complies with safety policies and procedures and MSDS guidelines, including those related to biohazards and radioactive substances. Assists with the receipt, stocking and maintenance of supply inventories.
- The following are minimum qualifications related to the Veterinary Technician position:
- Education: Bachelor of Science Degree in Animal Science or Veterinary Technology or Associate’s degree in Veterinary Technology or equivalent college level program preferred.
- Experience: Minimum of one year related animal care and handling experience required, including one year of technical experience as detailed in the essential duties and responsibilities section preferred
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: AALAS certification at the Laboratory Animal Technician level (LAT) or above OR successful achievement of LAT certification within one (1) year required. AALAS certification at the LATg level is preferred. Veterinary Technician licensure of CVT or LVT preferred.
- Company: Charles River - Boston Children's Hospital
- Position Type: Offered/Available
- Employment Type: Full Time
- Industry: Industry / CRO
- Location: Boston, MA, United States