The Principal Veterinary Surgeon will conduct animal surgeries to support medical device research studies at Medtronic’s Physiological Research Laboratories. The position reports to the Director, Medical Group at Medtronic Physiological Research Laboratories (PRL).
The Principal Veterinary Surgeon that is hired for this position will:
- Provide surgical input and decisions in the technical development phase of our studies.
- Be a key technical resource for new model development.
- Develop approaches to streamline future studies while leveraging past work and collective analysis.
- Perform surgery per protocol to achieve desired study parameters.
- Provides leadership to professional and technical staff. Provides medical guidance to surgery technician professionals as dictated by study protocol.
- Provide rotating “on call” responsibilities that require 24-hour availability for animal care issues.
- Imaging Capabilities: Provide knowledge and experience in the areas of image capture and analysis for CT, MRI, ultrasound, and other imaging modalities.
- Animal Model Development: Consult on and review protocols for the acquisition and optimization of data. Research comparative anatomy and pathophysiology to determine the most appropriate animal model and test methods to achieve study objectives for device / biotherapeutic applications. Make surgical and medical care recommendations to investigators.
- Education: Maintain substantive leading-edge knowledge of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery.
- Participate in professional meetings, read current materials, and network with key opinion leaders.
- Benchmark outside research facilities for seeking best practices and forging strategic working relationships.
- Provide educational and training programs for surgical and animal care technicians to maintain current best practices.
- Continually improving the welfare of animals by complying with the Institution Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC).
- Drive a culture of technical excellence and continuous improvement while creating an environment with high levels of employee engagement and satisfaction.
- Foster strong relationships with our customers and ensure that our organization understands how they contribute to MDT research, product development and medical education and training.
To be considered for this position, the following basic qualifications must be evident on your resume:
- Education Required – Bachelor’s degree
- Years of Experience Required- Minimum of 7 years of relevant experience, or advanced degree with 5 years of experience
Nice to Have
- DACVS or DACVIM credentials.
- Advanced degree (i.e., PhD, DVM, MBA).
- Current license (or ability to attain within 90 days) to practice veterinary medicine in MN.
- Significant medical device research and/or product development experience.
- Extensive knowledge of preclinical research and GLP quality requirements.
- Working knowledge of MDT products and therapies with strong and direct health care professional interaction.
- Extensive experience in clinical practice.
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal/team effectiveness — ability to communicate to various levels of management and employees succinctly and accurately.
- Influence management skills: ability to work cooperatively at all levels in matrix environment to build and maintain the positive relationships required to accomplish organizational goals.
- Demonstrated ability to show high integrity and gain the respect of peers.
- Strong analytical, planning, organization, and time management skills to effectively develop and execute comprehensive programs and budgets.
- Company: Medtronic
- Position Type: Offered/Available
- Employment Type: Full Time
- Industry: Medical Device
- Location: Coon Rapids, MN, United States